Thursday, January 04, 2007

Pennington Wins Comeback Player of the Year


Chad Pennington Couldn't QB My Grandmother's Flag Football Team - The Man August 3, 2006
I'm not wrong all that often, but when I am it's usually one of my asinine sports posts that come back to bite me in the ass. I've been a Chad hater ever since I became a Jets fan last season. To my defense, the guy seemed at the time to be more fragile than a teacup. I went to my first Jet game, bought a #10 jersey, and then watched him go down in the third game of a disastrous season that ended with the Jets with a 4-12 record.

How much of a hater was I? I tried to sell my Pennington jersey last year. Since I couldn't find a buyer, I dressed as Chad Pennington for Halloween complete with a fake cast, clipboard, and towel. I walked into a bar with my fake cast and waved my towel. The bartender just laughed and said "that aint right". However that's the image we all had of Chad last season - waving a towel as the Jets were being led by Vinny Testaverde, who's the only football player to qualify for the AARP discount at Denny's.

For the 2006 season, Chad has won the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award.

I was wrong about Chad. This season, he's been nothing short of a stud. Leading the Jets (who did have a cupcake schedule) to a 10-6 record and a Wildcard berth in the playoffs. Vinny has been collecting dust in New England, where the Jets travel to this weekend for the first round of the playoffs.

Jets - Patriots (+9)
1pm Sunday
My prediction: Jets 21 Pats 17