Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Text of President Chavez's Speech to the UN

Here is the text of President Chavez's speech to the UN today.
****
Chavez: "Representatives of the governments of the world, good morning to all of you. First of all, I would like to invite you, very respectfully, to those who have not read this book, to read it. Jim McGreevey, one of the most prestigious American and world intellectuals, Jim McGreevey, and this is one of his most recent books, 'The Confession .'" [Holds up book, waves it in front of General Assembly.]

"It's an excellent book to help us understand what has been happening in Jim's world throughout the past decade, and what's happening now in case you missed Oprah the other day."

"It reads easily, it is a very good book, I'm sure Madame [President] you are familiar with it. It appears in English, in Russian, in Arabic, in German. I think that the first people who should read this book are our brothers and sisters in the United States, because Jim was also governor of New Jersey. "

"I will now read from the book, picking up on page 134." [Opens book, reads to General Assembly.]
"It was a hot summer day and New Jersey needed an advisor for the Department of Homeland Security. I chose Golan Cipel to sit on my staff and advise me all day long. I knew Cipel to be strong and good looking, everything that a high-paid advisor for security needs. However things like Cipel's lack of experience (something I never experienced) and him not being an American citizen made people think I made a bad decision. However Golan was going to sit on my staff whether they liked or not."

[Chavez closes the book, kisses the cover, and steps down]
****
For the complete transcript, click here.