Thursday, February 16, 2006

Gumb: Stupid is as Stupid Does

Bryant Gumbel made some comments about the lack of blacks in the Winter Olympics on HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel.

Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t care about them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying ... Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.

I'm not going to rant and rave about his comments. As dumb as they are....they are true, there are not many blacks in the Winter Olympics.

I will call Gumbel a hypocrite, because I noticed a certain sports reporter participating in one of the figure skating events the other night. Also, I didn't know they had Curling at the GOP convention. I was there at the RNC last summer and I must have missed out on the volunteer opportunities for the Super G.

And later on CNBCs non-stop coverage of Curling, I watched as Bryant blew the last toss in a losing effort against Finland.

For more on this story, click here

Other links
Public Eye
Iowa Voice

"I don't like the Winter Olympics because it is full of crackers" - Bryant Gumbel

"It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city (NYC). Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark, looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing." - John Rocker