Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Jack Bauer is a Sissy

The following was a PSA aired prior to this week's episode of 24:

"Hi. My name is Kiefer Sutherland. And I play counter-terrorist agent Jack Bauer on Fox's 24. I would like to take a moment to talk to you about something that I think is very important. Now while terrorism is obviously one of the most critical challenges facing our nation and the world, it is important to recognize that the American Muslim community stands firmly beside their fellow Americans in denouncing and resisting all forms of terrorism. So in watching 24, please, bear that in mind."

You mean to tell me that I could have seen that stupid P-Diddy Diet-Pepsi commercial one more time, instead I had to listen to Jack Bauer inform me that American Muslims are not bad. A friend of mine text-messaged me stating: "I was about to start killing muslims until Kiefer cleared things up just then".

CAIR and the Muslim Public Affairs Council wanted to address the depiction of the Turkish muslim family that is part of a sleeper cell in America hell-bent on creating a nuclear meltdown. The groups were concerned this portrayal would create a bias against American Muslims. This PSA was an insult to non-muslims because these muslim groups assumed that non-muslims would be angered by the plot in 24 and go out for some American-style retribution. Hello, we know Jack Bauer will either defuse the bomb, kill all the ninjas, cut off a fellow agent's arm, or even kill all the bad muslims to save the day. It's not like we believe anything we see on 24, it is a TV show. Radical muslims plotting terror in America is about the only thing realistic on 24. Where was the PSA during season three stating that not all drug cartels want to release a deadly virus in America? How about a PSA from the Governor Schwarzenegger stating that California is a safe place to live, there are no nuclear bombs detonating, and the state counter-terrorism units are not plagued by infighting, incompetence, and moles.

In the end, I will continue to follow 24's absurd plot lines for another season. I think caving in to these groups and airing that PSA was insulting. What do you think?

(Jack Bauer is an equal-opportunity ass-kicker)